On 18 March 2018, the 457 visa has been replaced with the new Temporary Skill Shortage visa – TSS (subclass 482). The changes come after announcements made by the government last April (2017) and no further 457 visa nomination or applications can now be lodged.
Some noteworthy changes regarding the new temporary work visa include:
The current list containing occupations that can be nominated are located here: Occupation List
There are 2 visa streams based on the nominated occupation:
- Short term stream granting the TSS visa for up to 2 years
- Medium term stream granting the TSS visa for up to 4 years
In addition to the required skill level for each occupation, applicants must also demonstrate that they have worked in their nominated occupation or a related field for at least 2 years.
Genuine temporary entrant
Visa applicants applying via the short-term stream must demonstrate that they intend to stay in Australia temporarily.
Increased English language requirement
Visa applicants applying via the medium-term stream are required to demonstrate a higher level of English language ability.
Labour Market Testing
Business must provide evidence they have advertised the nominated occupation and have been unsuccessful sourcing local labour, unless an exemption from this requirement applies.
Full time work
Nominated positions must be full time and the nominee must work directly for the sponsor or an associated entity.
The business must demonstrate that there is a genuine need for the position based on the scale and scope of the business.
Changes to Department Fees
Standard Business Sponsorship application: $420.00 AUD
TSS nomination: $330.00 AUD
- short-term stream applicants: from AUD1,150.00 AUD
- medium-term and labour agreement stream applicants: from AUD2,400.00 AUD
The date of implementation of the SAF training levy is still to be confirmed.
List of proposed levy costs (per nomination):
- Proposed levy for businesses with turnover less than $10M
- $1,200 per Temporary Skill Shortage Visa per year
- $3,000 per Permanent visa subclass 186/187
Proposed levy for businesses with turnover more than $10M
- $1,800 per Temporary Skill Shortage Visa per year
- $5,000 per Permanent visa subclass 186/187
For further information on the new TSS Visa, or how it affects your business, please call a member of our team today: contact us